Subject: RE: Install experiences and questions about color X
To: 'Colin Wood' <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/13/1998 02:57:40
Colin Wood wrote:

> When the machine boots, does it report a 68030 or a 68020?  Just
> wondering...

>From dmesg:

sigourney:~# dmesg
NetBSD 1.3 (SIGOURNEY) #0: Mon Jan 12 22:11:14 CET 1998
    root@sigourney.bitcon.no:/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/SIGOURNEY
Apple Macintosh II  (68030)
cpu: delay factor 79
real mem = 20971520
avail mem = 17059840
using 204 buffers containing 835584 bytes of memory
[...]
fpu0 at mainbus0 (mc68881)

> If it doesn't work with the LKM,
> I'd try Paul's SLOTMAN kernel since I believe he supports more cards.

The LKM compiled just fine but it made the kernel crash and burn.
"panic: Illegal Interrupt trap" I think the message was.

The slotman kernel also crashed and burned:

nubus0 at mainbus0 (slotmanager)
vm_fault(18b000, 4083f000, 1, 0) -> 1
  type 8, code [mmu,,ssw]: 401f64d
trap: type 0x8, code 0x401f64d, v 0x4083f5e8
kernel: MMU fault trap

Typing "c" in the debugger as I always do made the machine power down.
And now can't get it to power up again...

Ah, well. I'll make do with monochrome video. It would be really nice to
see color video debugged and in the -current tree though...

I have a question about my Ethernet card: Asante MacCon II. The kernel
prints out these messages:

ae0 at nubus0 slot 9: MacCon Ethernet, 32KB memory
ae0: Ethernet address 00:00:94:21:9e:ef
[...]
ae0: length does not match next packet pointer
ae0: len 0000 nlen ff00 start 0c first 00 curr 1f next 00 stop 80
ae0: NIC memory corrupt - invalid packet length 65280

What does the last message mean? Is the NIC memory really corrupt or is
there a bug in the driver? Note that the card seems to work properly,
I've used it extensively in both MacOS and now NetBSD.

One more, very strange, thing: I run '/usr/games/fortune -a' from my
login scripts but on NetBSD/mac68k I always get the same fortune every
time! OK, not exactly true, I've seen one more fortune a couple of
times:

sigourney:~# /usr/games/fortune -a
!07/11 PDP a ni deppart m'I  !pleH
sigourney:~# /usr/games/fortune -a
!07/11 PDP a ni deppart m'I  !pleH
sigourney:~# /usr/games/fortune -a
!07/11 PDP a ni deppart m'I  !pleH
sigourney:~# /usr/games/fortune -a
!07/11 PDP a ni deppart m'I  !pleH
sigourney:~# /usr/games/fortune -a
!07/11 PDP a ni deppart m'I  !pleH
sigourney:~# /usr/games/fortune -a
!07/11 PDP a ni deppart m'I  !pleH
sigourney:~# /usr/games/fortune -a
!07/11 PDP a ni deppart m'I  !pleH
sigourney:~# /usr/games/fortune -a
71:
        69 with two fingers up your ass.
                -- George Carlin
sigourney:~# /usr/games/fortune -a
!07/11 PDP a ni deppart m'I  !pleH
sigourney:~# /usr/games/fortune -a
!07/11 PDP a ni deppart m'I  !pleH
sigourney:~# /usr/games/fortune -a
71:
        69 with two fingers up your ass.
                -- George Carlin
sigourney:~# /usr/games/fortune -a
71:
        69 with two fingers up your ass.
                -- George Carlin
sigourney:~# /usr/games/fortune -a
!07/11 PDP a ni deppart m'I  !pleH
sigourney:~# /usr/games/fortune -a
!07/11 PDP a ni deppart m'I  !pleH
sigourney:~# /usr/games/fortune -a
!07/11 PDP a ni deppart m'I  !pleH

Removing the '-a' switch only makes certain that I get the PDP fortune
every time. It's not a problem with the
/usr/share/games/fortune/fortunes file because I run both an i386 and a
VAX from the same (NFS mounted /usr/share) file. On the other machines I
get different fortunes at each login, as expected. Not a very important
problem to solve, just very strange...

Ah, the machine finally powered up again. ;-)

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2