Subject: Re: netatalk races
To: Lee Larson <llarson@louisville.edu>
From: Capt. Avram Dorfman <dorfman@pentagon.mil>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/12/1998 17:35:37
I would have to disagree w/ you on the reason for A/UX ftp being faster
than MacOS or netatalk: ftp uses TCP/IP. Apple file sharing uses AFP/DDP
(Apletalk).

First of all, IP allows up to 1.5kb datagrams, DDP allows a max of 600
bytes. This give you about 1/3 as much overhead w/ TCP. Second, TCP has a
much better windowing mechanism. It can have many more outstanding
packets (those which have not been acknowledged). AFP *must* send an ack
packet at at for at least every 8 packets.

Combine these together, and what you get is that Appletalk spends a lot
of time sending headers, and sitting around waiting for acks, compared to
TCP.

In order to have a fair test when compared w/ A/UX, you'd really have to
be FTPing to the netbsd boxes, and install Peter Lewis' NetPresenz or
FTPd on your MacOS.

-Capt Avram Dorfman
Chief, Network Operations
email: dorfman@pentagon.mil