Subject: Re: Install experiences and questions about color X
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/12/1998 14:18:32
Gunnar Helliesen wrote:

> I've just installed NetBSD/mac68k 1.3 Release on my old Mac II with FDHD
> and Dove MaraThon 030 (32 MHz 68030) upgrades. Works perfectly, I didn't
> even have to disable the 030 cache.

When the machine boots, does it report a 68030 or a 68020?  Just
wondering...

> The installation tools were great, there was only one discrepancy
> between the installation instructions and real life (sorry if this has
> been covered before). The instructions say:
>

>     You will need to know the proper device to mount the remaining
>     partition(s) by hand:
>        * Select "Build Devices" from the "File" menu.
>        * Select "Mini Shell" from the "File" menu.
>        * You can use the 'disklabel' command to get a listing of
>          the available partitions and their types and sizes.
>        * Mount the filesystems you wish with the command:
>               mount device path
>          For example, if you wish to mount a usr partition from
>          the first scsi disk, sd0, on /usr, you would type:
>               mount /dev/sd0g /usr
>

> At this point in the install there is no /usr directory so the user has
> to create it. Thus the instructions should read something like this:

Doh!  I thought that was in there.  Perhaps it got lost in a CVS update.
Thanks for catching this oversight.  I'll update it soon.

> I just joined this list yesterday but already I've read a lot about
> SLOTMAN kernels in order to run color X. What are they, where are they
> and are sources available (I like to build my own kernels)? Are they
> based on 1.3, compatible with 1.3 binaries/libraries or purely
> experimental 1.2X kernels or what?

Paul Goyette will know for sure, but I believe they should be fully
compatible with 1.3.  The ftp site for his stuff is:

ftp://ftp.whooppee.com/pub/slotman/

> Can I avoid SLOTMAN kernels altogether and use an lkm with the 1.3
> release kernel instead? If so, where do I get the latest lkm module?

Assuing you've got a compatible NuBus video card, you can find the latest
version of the LKM here:

ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/contrib/incoming/ender/

> Do I have to download a special color X server or can I use the one in
> the 1.3 release distribution? If I have to download a server, where do I
> find the latest one?

You need a special X server.  The one that works with the 1.3 X
distribution can be found at the same location as above.

> The FAQ didn't really say, the stuff it points to in section 9.13 seems
> pretty old...

Yeah, I hope to update that this next week or so.

> Oh, and yes, I have a NUBUS video card (Apple 8*24), it should work with
> color in 8 bit mode, right?

Ah, perhaps.  You can always try it and see.  There are a couple of cards
that don't quite seem to work correctly.  If it doesn't work with the LKM,
I'd try Paul's SLOTMAN kernel since I believe he supports more cards.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.

Later.