Subject: Re: Help with Gateway ( IPNAT Setup )
To: #hea <hea@ix.netcom.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/11/1998 12:10:43
Looks to me like you don't have the necessary devices.  First, make sure
that you have all 3 of the following in your /dev directory:

	crw-------  1 root  wheel   35,   0 Nov  7 16:36 /dev/ipl
	crw-------  1 root  wheel   35,   1 Nov  7 16:36 /dev/ipnat
	crw-------  1 root  wheel   35,   2 Nov  7 16:36 /dev/ipstate

You also need to have a kernel with all of the ipnat stuff compiled in,
but most GENERIC kernels include this, I think.

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, #hea wrote:

> I'm trying to set up IP-NAT so that I can use my local network with a
> netbsd
> system serving as a gateway to my ISP.
>
> I have tried to exactly follow the IP-NAT HOW-TO at:
>
> http://lethargy.mit.edu/~armenb/ipnat.html
>
> but I must have something wrong.
>
> When I attempt to start IPNAT, I get
> some error messages and the gateway does not work.
>
> I have ppp running and can access internet, but machines on the local
> network can not use
> the NetBSD box as a gateway.
>
> Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> .....Harlan

> Here is the output during startup:
>
>       [snip]
>
> Automatic boot in progress: starting file system checks.
> /dev/rsd1a: file system is clean; not checking
> setting tty flags
> starting network
> hostname: macbsd-p600
> domainname: home.net
> installing packet filter rules ...
> open device: No such file or directory
> SIOCFRENB: Bad file descriptor
> open device: No such file or directory
> ioctl(SIOCIPFFL): Bad file descriptor
> open device: No such file or directory
> configuring network interfaces:  ae0ifconfig: inetmask: bad value
> ae0: flags=8822(BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST) mtu 1500
>         inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0x0

| Paul Goyette       | Public Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Consultant |  0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker  |  E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |