Subject: Re: Color X
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/11/1998 12:01:19
> Actually, I think if running the color server on a kernel w/o color
> support was the case, you'd get either a B&W screen or an array of
> many small, nearly identicall screens.

That would be the case if you were in 1 bit mode and then fired
up the color server and it wasn't smart enough to find out it's
in 1 bit mode. In this case we have the opposite problem:
the person boots in 8 bit mode. The server checks what mode it's
in and says "Oh, looks like we're already in 8 bit mode" and
then fires itself up in color mode. Of course, since the
kernel doesn't support palette switching, the colors stay
fixed and everything's pink and yellow.

I've dones this before myself when I boot up into a regular
kernel under 8 bit rather than one of my experimental ones.