Subject: Re: tape drive - rogue device
To: CTAPYXA <ctapyxa@UCSD.Edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/11/1998 08:43:34
It really isn't a problem if the device is says it's a "rogue" - that
only means that we don't know anything specific about the drive.  The
only time this is a problem is if "what we don't know hurts us."

In my case, I had to invent a new quirk for the EXB-8200 to force it to
use 1K-byte fixed block sizes.  In your case, you'll have to do some
debugging to see:

	1. if your tape drive works,
	2. if not, what breaks,
	3. what has to be done to fix it, and
	4. how to code that up into a "quirk"

There's no quick and easy answer.  :(

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, CTAPYXA wrote:

> Paul Goyette wrote:
>
> >the mention of "rogue" is
> >specific to the tape drive stuff.  My Exabyte-8200 was a rogue, too,
> >until I figured out what it needed.
>
> Could you please tell me what it was? In addition to the desire to use my
> tape drive (Tandberg 525 Mb 6000 series), I have my CD-ROM in the same box,
> and the halt on boot prevents me from using it too.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Yuri Oskotsky.

| Paul Goyette       | Public Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Consultant |  0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker  |  E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |