Subject: Re: hanging during reboot
To: Michael Hendrick <mlh@csranet.com>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/11/1998 11:17:16
On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Michael Hendrick wrote:

.. On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
..
.. > On 1/8/98, Mark Murdock wrote:
.. >
.. > > For the second issue, after recompiling a kernel from the 1.3 sources, I
.. > > can no longer reboot or properly shutdown my SE/30.
.. >
.. > This is a known problem, related to the size of your kernel. I've generally
.. > found that small kernels don't hang, while larger kernels *do* hang. If you

Yeah -- discussions on this mailing list have concluded that this
phenomenon is related to the size of the kernel (or subtle differences in
the location in memory of some parts of it), but it is not a simple
relationship: kernels built from different configuration files (but same
sources) may differ in respect to allow automatic rebooting on cx and
SE/30 machines, but rebooting kernels may be smaller than some and larger
than some other non-rebooting kernels.

I've never seen any specific evidence about what causes this problem, and
after I got my Quadra 610 working, I retired my IIcx -- which solved this
problem for me :-)

- Erik