Subject: Re: XWindows in user mode; also, OpenLook
To: CTAPYXA <ctapyxa@UCSD.Edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/10/1998 19:00:07
CTAPYXA wrote:

> When I log in as user (not root) and try to start XWindows it gives adb
> error. I have my startup files from root copied over to my user directory.
> Anybody knows what the problem is? Is it at all possible?

What is the exact error message that it gives you?  It sounds like 1 of 2
things are happening...either you're trying to start X while some other
device has is using /dev/adb (if that's the case, the error would probably
be "/dev/adb:  device busy"), or somehow you have the access permissions
on /dev/adb set incorrectly (in which case the error message is problem
something like "/dev/adb: permission denied").

Which of these is it?  If it's the latter, do the following as root:

chmod 666 /dev/adb

and it should fix it.

I hope this helps.

Later.