Subject: Re: Setting up anonymous ftp
To: Austin Brower <browerab@psouth.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/10/1998 18:25:29
Austin Brower wrote:

>     I am running NetBSD 1.2.1 on a MacIIsi and I would like to somehow
> enable anonymous ftp.  I have read the ftpd man pages many times and
> still have no clue as to how to set this service up.

There is an excellent Linux HOWTO on this subject that should be close
enough to the necessary NetBSD setup.  Take a look at www.linux.org, then
find a link to the Linux Documentation Project.  They should have a list
of HOWTO's there.

>     On a similar note, I was wondering how to set up an account that,
> like anonymous ftp, would accept any password as valid.  This account
> would be for uploads, maybe.  I'd like it like the anonymous ftp account
> but in a different part of the system.

That's _not_ how you do it!  Or at least, that's generally not the way you
want to do it.  What's easiest (and what everyone else does), is to create
an incoming or inbox directory with permissions set to 733 (i.e. only
write an execute, not read permissions), and make sure that the anonymous
user doesn't own the directory.  This way, anyone can write to the
directory, but they can't see what's in it, so they can't erase things
they shouldn't be able to.

> If any of you could give some help or advice please e-mail me.

BTW, this rather general kind of question is best asked on the
netbsd-users mailing list (which I'd recommend joining, the traffic isn't
very high, especially compared to this list).

Also, consider upgrading to NetBSD 1.3.  There have been a large number of
improvements made in the year and a half between the 2 releases.

I hope this helps.

Later.