Subject: Re:
To: Mark Murdock <mkmurdoc@delta.greenland.com>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/10/1998 16:10:34
On 1/8/98, Mark Murdock wrote:

> For the second issue, after recompiling a kernel from the 1.3 sources, I
> can no longer reboot or properly shutdown my SE/30.

This is a known problem, related to the size of your kernel. I've generally
found that small kernels don't hang, while larger kernels *do* hang. If you
can knock out anything in your kernel that you don't really need, you might
be able to reboot without errors. (Mine's circa 800K or so, and it reboots
properly. A recently-built kernel that was near a megabyte in size locked,
like what you're seeing.)

>From what I've seen, you won't damage anything by hitting your hard-reboot
switch when the machine has locked at the end of the world. (Chances are
you'll be around whenever your system needs to be rebooted anyway, and
power outages would sort of side-step the problem anyway.)

I think Scott Reynolds has a clue about what's going wrong, but I'm not sure.

As for the serial stuff...

I don't think your SE/30 will be able to handle really fast serial
communication. I get a *lot* of

zstty1: 1 silo overflow, 0 ibuf floods

messages on my SE/30, and I've got relatively slow connections going... I
have a 38400 baud connection to my 14.4K modem on one port, and a 19200
baud direct connection on the other port. (Of course, I never notice any
significant slowdowns... I don't know that it's worth bothering with,
personally.)

Good luck...

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...www.webtrek.com/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments