Subject: Re: sendmail.cf question
To: Capt. Avram Dorfman <dorfman@pentagon.mil>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/10/1998 16:18:02
Hi,

Here is how I do it.

In the /etc/sendmail.cf file, locate the line that says:

  Cwlocalhost

Below it, add the following line:

  Fw-o /etc/sendmail.cw

Now, create a file called /etc/sendmail.cw  In that file, add the fully
qualified host name.  In your case, I believe the following should do it.

  paige.est.org

You will need to kill and restart sendmail, but that should do it. Then,
if you MX mail for any other hosts you yours, just add another line to the
/etc/sendmail.cw file.

Mark

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Capt. Avram Dorfman wrote:

> Ok, I think I need to rephrase my question... I appreciate all the
> fresh one.
>
> I just can't remember what I need to do so I stop getting the message:
>
> 	"config error: mail loops back to me (possible MX problem?)"
>
> I had this once before, either when I first set up sendmail, or when I
> first configured it to use my domain name instead of my hostname, as my
> email address. Like I said, I haven't changed my DNS records.  All I've
> done is upgraded to 1.3, and accidentally replaced my sendmail.cf (ok,
> actually my entire /etc) with the distribution.
>
> I've got masquerading set so that my outgoing mail looks like it comes
> from "est.org", but there's something I need to do so that paige.est.org
> doesn't try to relay received mail to est.org, since paige is supposed to
> *be* est.org as mail goes.
>
> And yes, this is my work email address that I'm writing from...
>
> -Capt Avram Dorfman
> Chief, Network Operations
> email: dorfman@pentagon.mil
> (last resort email: avram@pobox.com)