Subject: Re: ppp
To: Eric C Wagner <wagnerer@umich.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/09/1998 14:26:22
> I just upgraded to 1.3 and my ppp setup quit working. Specifically the
> active filter died. In my options file I had the lines :
>
> idle 1500
> active-filter "udp or (tcp and not tcp port ntp)"
>
> Under 1.2 whenever there was ip traffic pppd would dial out to the isp and
> connect. After 25 minutes of no user traffic the connection would be
> closed down. With 1.3 I get the complaint that active-filter can't be used
> due to incorrect iotcl's in the log and the modem never hangs up. So did
> the generic configuration change between 1.2 and 1.3 and if so what option
> should I add to enable active-filtering?

I'm not trying to be mean, but man pppd is your friend. Under the
active-filter section (starting on the second page on my 24 line terminal),
there's a comment that both pppd and the kernel need to be compiled with
PPP_FILTER defined. mac68k GENERIC kernels are NOT compiled with this
option enabled.

So you'll need to compile your own kernel, and add a line saying:
options PPP_FILTER
to the config file.

Acording to man options (which lists all the kernel options), pppd is
compiled with PPP_FILTER defined by default, so it won't need
re-compiling.

Take care,

Bill