Subject: Re: your mail
To: Mark Murdock <mkmurdoc@delta.greenland.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/09/1998 14:18:37
> First one is mainly for Bill Studenmund, as it deals with serial ports.
> Bill, I know that at some point in the past you have advised on how to
> deal with silo overruns when dialed into the internet at 28800 bps.  Not
> only that, but I know you also instructed someone on how to increase the
> maximum line speed that can be used with a slip or ppp connection.  Both
> bits of advice I cannot locate, so I wonder if you wouldn't mind going
> over those again with me?

Doh! I forgot to answer this one fully.

How to enable 11520 and 230400 I only give out in private EMail as I
forsee bad things if it is tried on a machine which won't support it.
It's like using a faucet to fill a jar with a funnel. You can crank up
the faucet's flow rate (the baud rate), but if you're flowing faster
than the funnel can handle (the rest of the slip or ppp subsystem),
then all you do is spill stuff on the floor. AFAICT, these patches will
only work well on an 040 machine. (*)

Note: when I tried ppp'ing from a pentium box, I had little trouble
(maybe 1 silo overflow in 1 MB) at 38400 on a IIsi. When I tried
the same thing at 57600, I got overflow after overflow. I got so many
overflows that it actually took longer to transfer at 57600 than
at 38400.

Another thing you might try is using a hardware-handshaking modem
cable, modem configuration (so that the modem won't hang up if DTR
drops), and the new-for-1.3 flow control mode of cdtrcts. This mode
will work well for ibuf floods (aka ring overflows), but won't do
much for isolated silo overflows.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Take care,

Bill

(*) the patches seem to work well enough that I'll probably add code to
1.4 so that they get enabled for 040-based machines.