Subject: Re: Running from Jaz disks?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Larry Kollar <larry.kollar@arris-interactive.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/09/1998 14:45:38
Derrick Hutchinson wrote:

> I just downloaded MacBSD 1.3 and started to install on a Performa 600 with
> an Iomega Jaz 1.0 GB disk drive, but ran into troubles using installer 1.1g
> which I downloaded from the same distribution tree.  The error I'm getting
> is when I try to make the devices:
>
> mode = 0104210, inum = 15490. fs = /
> ialloc: dup alloc

If I were forced to make a prediction, I'd guess you didn't use CHANGE
under mkfs to make your partitions into NetBSD types.  I followed the
procedure I wrote for the Install-HOWTO
(at <http://www.nyx.net/~lekollar/install.html>) to set up the Jaz, and
it went smoothly for me.  If you could, please print it out and follow
it -- then let me know if it worked for you.

Quick question:  do you have a MacOS partition on the Jaz cartridge?  I
reserved a rather generous 200MB for MacOS; 50MB is more than enough for
the utilities (Installer/mkfs/Booter) and the tarballs, unless you're
also downloading the entire source tree.

> I used the default values when formatting the partitions with mkfs 1.45 on
> the Jaz cartridge and suppose a few of them may need to be changed.  Does
> anyone have the proper values I should use?

I need to issue a correction about something I said earlier this week on
the list -- the Jaz formats just fine with the parameters that mkfs
gives
it by default.  At least mine did two nights ago.

> I remember seeing a note from
> Larry Kollar mentioning he was working on a Jaz FAQ, but have not seen a
> new posting for the URL as yet.

With any luck, I'll have something up this weekend.  I repartitioned my
NetBSD Jaz cart earlier this week, partly because I wanted to re-do my
partitions anyway and partly to verify the procedure.

In the meantime, try out these things in order, and attempt to
re-install
after each one.  If you succeed, skip the remaining steps. :-)

     Apple_UNIX_SVR2, or MacOS, or whatever.

  2. In Get Info, increase Installer's "Preferred Size" to 6000K.

  3. Download the latest Jaz driver at
<ftp://ftp.iomega.com/pub/mac503.hqx>
     and replace your current MacOS drivers.  Reboot, turn OFF "eject on
     restart" (this doesn't matter while using Installer, but you might
as
     well do it while you're mucking with the driver).

  4. Reboot with as few extensions as possible.  Theoretically, you
don't
     even need the Iomega extension, but I haven't verified this
personally.

  5. If you are still having problems, turn on verify-after-write in the
     Iomega driver.  That will make for a painfully slow install (he
said
     from last night's experience), and it's a shot in the dark more
than
     anything, but if you're at this point you may as well try it.

When I get a first draft of the Jaz-HOWTO put together, I'll announce
the
URL on the list.

Good luck,

	Larry Kollar