Subject: Re: will mac68k work with...
To: 'port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG' <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ruschmeyer, John <jruschme@att.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/09/1998 10:49:33
>> Parker Beeson wrote:
>> >
>> > I have an old MacSE (no 30) that I'm thinking of getting a Sonnet
>> > 68030w/fpu accelerator card for that fits in the PDS slot.  Will 1.3 port
>> > of NetBSD for 68kmacs work with this accelerator card??
>>
>> Well, anything is possible, but we've had real trouble with accelerators
>> that upgrade to different processors in the past.  I suppose that you
>> could always try to boot a kernel (just download the Booter, a kernel, and
>> probably a copy of mode32).
>
>I think you'd run into a lot of problems. I haven't looked lately at my
>GttMFH, but I think the SE had a slightly different hardware layout than
>the MacII. I know the + and the original Mac certainly did. If the hardware
>layout's different, NetBSD will need a lot of work to function.
>
>Depending on how much the accelerator costs, it might be worth it to just
>buy a different used Mac. I've seen a number of the machines on our
>supported list going for 100 to 200. Then you would have much fewer >hassles.

Let me echo this sentiment and recommend finding a cheap IIx/IIcx/IIsi
setup.

The other alternative is to upgrade your SE to an SE/30. For the most
part, this is just a motherboard swap. If, however, you have an earlier
SE (pre-FDHD), then you will either need an SE/30 case or the supports
and mounting brackets out of one. This is because the PDS and power
supply
connectors on the SE/30 are in somewhat different locations than on the
SE. (As I understand it, later SE's have the correct openings, probably
to accommodate SE/30 motherboards or as a shared part with the SE/30.)
All the other parts are compatible with both.

As for the SE/30 case and motherboard, you should be able to find them
fairly inexpensively if you shop around.

Two suggestions:

	Intragate		(intramac@aol.com)		1-505-265-7759
	Timco Computers	(lance@lance.seanet.com)	1-206-933-6090

<<<John>>>