Subject: Re: preliminary sound survey
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/09/1998 22:58:40
Hi Colin, it's nice timing!

I've been restarted working on implement of sound
driver. (since last spring:-) I modified the file Scott
posted port-mac68k some month ago and got ugly harmony;-)

Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com> wrote:

Colin> Ok, I've got a favor to ask everyone.  I'm working on
Colin> "sound" support for NetBSD.  This is motivated by the
Colin> fact that my Quadra 700 only clicks for it's term
Colin> bell, whereas my IIci actually beeps.

Which do you think it's the machine-speed problem or one
caused by difference of the sound chip?

Colin>   I'd like to be able to get all Macs to the point
Colin> where they can at least beep.  I'd really like to be
Colin> able to fully support /dev/audio, but that might
Colin> require a minor miracle (or a lot more staring at ROM
Colin> code ;-)

Yes, it's cool.  I'd like to do 'cp somefile /dev/audio.'

Now I'm modifying asc.c, ascvar.h and writing a new file
ascreg.h.  My plan is to emulate ROM sound driver.  At this
moment, I translate the ROM code to NetBSD's scheme, but
since my lack of knolwedge of device driver, things get
slow.

Colin> Anyway, as part of this, I'd like to figure out how
:

I ran it, but the result was always different after it
beeps.  Is it OK?  I'll send the result to you another mail,
anyway.

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.or.jp>
Happy Hacking!