Subject: Re: your mail
To: Mark Murdock <mkmurdoc@delta.greenland.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/08/1998 18:19:55
Mark Murdock wrote:

> A couple of questions here:

I'll let Bill handle the first one ;-)

> For the second issue, after recompiling a kernel from the 1.3 sources, I
> can no longer reboot or properly shutdown my SE/30.  It just hangs around
> the time that it would normally sync the disks, warn me of the RTC update,
> and then reboot.  It must be coming close to a proper shutdown, because the
> filesystems are clean on reboot.  Anyone else see this problem?
> By the way, the main reason i recompiled the problem was to eliminate the
> MRG_ADB option, which was hanging my kernel at boot after the adb: line.
> This did fix the problem in that case, for those of you who are having
> similiar trouble.

My guess is that you've hit the bug that we've mainly seen with IIcx
users, namely, that some minor change in kernel size causes the machine to
have trouble rebooting/shutting down.  You could try to somewhat randomly
add or delete unnecessary drivers and see if this fixes it...

Also, when it hangs, can you hit the debugger switch and do a trace?

Later.