Subject: None
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Murdock <mkmurdoc@delta.greenland.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/08/1998 17:26:54
A couple of questions here:

First one is mainly for Bill Studenmund, as it deals with serial ports.
Bill, I know that at some point in the past you have advised on how to
deal with silo overruns when dialed into the internet at 28800 bps.  Not
only that, but I know you also instructed someone on how to increase the
maximum line speed that can be used with a slip or ppp connection.  Both
bits of advice I cannot locate, so I wonder if you wouldn't mind going
over those again with me?  Here's what I have already tried, and it has
seemed to help with the silo overrun issue:
In /usr/src/sys/dev/ic/z8530tty.c I increased ZSTTY_RING_SIZE to 4096.
And in an (excuse the expression) half-assed attempt I increased
ZS_STD_BRG in /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/dev/zs.c to (230400*4).  I was
hoping that would allow me to select speeds over 57600 for slip and ppp?

The kernel did compile, and I have not seen as many silo overruns, but
I have not really been able to test the line speed change, so I'm not
sure if I made effective changes or if I just got lucky.

Your input, please.

For the second issue, after recompiling a kernel from the 1.3 sources, I
can no longer reboot or properly shutdown my SE/30.  It just hangs around
the time that it would normally sync the disks, warn me of the RTC update,
and then reboot.  It must be coming close to a proper shutdown, because the
filesystems are clean on reboot.  Anyone else see this problem?
By the way, the main reason i recompiled the problem was to eliminate the
MRG_ADB option, which was hanging my kernel at boot after the adb: line.
This did fix the problem in that case, for those of you who are having
similiar trouble.

Thanks,
Mark Murdock
fee@tetranet.net