Subject: Re: will mac68k work with...
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/08/1998 14:43:49
At 11:45 AM -0800 1/8/98, Colin Wood wrote:
>Parker Beeson wrote:
>>
>> I have an old MacSE (no 30) that I'm thinking of getting a Sonnet
>> 68030w/fpu accelerator card for that fits in the PDS slot.  Will 1.3 port
>> of NetBSD for 68kmacs work with this accelerator card??
>
>Well, anything is possible, but we've had real trouble with accelerators
>that upgrade to different processors in the past.  I suppose that you
>could always try to boot a kernel (just download the Booter, a kernel, and
>probably a copy of mode32).

As Bill Studenmund says you can probably get a supported machine for about
what an accelerator card would cost.  Don't forget RAM requirements too.

On top of the hardware differences, the SE has a different ROM from the II
series, so I don't think that mode32 would work either.  If you can't get
into 32-bit mode under System 7 then you can't run the booter to get into
*BSD.