Subject: Re: Browsers...?
To: Rodney Myrup (spot) <g01s61@spot.onysd.wednet.edu>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/08/1998 16:25:10
On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, Rodney Myrup (spot) wrote:
> Has anyone tryed netscape 1.12 for unix??
> I haven't gotten X to run so i haven't, but anyone would like to I have
> included netscape-v112.tar.Z , in the attachments.  Hope this helps.

Erf, please, no large binary attachments to the mailing list...

Anyways, there are many variants of unix, and unix runs on many different
processors... there is no "netscape 1.12 for unix." What you sent seems to
be netscape 1.12 for the i386 version of Linux. NetBSD does emulate some
other versions of Unix (such as Linux), but it does _not_ emulate another
processor. So, the netscape you sent will probably work fine on
NetBSD/i386 (although Netscape's up to version 4.something now... I run
the FreeBSD 4.04 on my NetBSD/i386 Pentium). It will not work with
NetBSD/mac68k though.

If Netscape ever made some 68k Unix version, such as a SunOS sun3 version
(note that they do have a SunOS sparc version, but that's not the same),
it's very likely it could be made to work under NetBSD/mac68k... I doubt
if Netscape's interested in supporting such an old machine though.
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++