Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.3 & 68LC040
To: <>
From: Avatar <bshayn1@gl.umbc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/08/1998 13:48:38
On Thu, 8 Jan 1998, John Burg wrote:

>I am using NetBSD 1.3 on another 68LC040 machine-- a Performa 630 (36 MB
>RAM). I'm running it off of a Zip drive (no swap). My machine has not been
>upgraded-- it is using only the software FPE. Despite its status as an
>unsupported machine, I have found it rather usable. Sure, I get
>segmentation faults and illegal instruction errors fairly frequently. But
>this has not made the machine unusable; they are only an annoyance. I am
>able to run X-Windows, various games, PPP, Lynx, etc. (I don't have enough
>disk space to try the compiler package.)
>The worst thing I have encountered is that I sometimes have to type
>"startx" 15 or 20 times before X successfully starts up. But once it starts
>running, it is fairly cooperative. I have had uptimes lasting a couple days
>(having a swap partition would lengthen this).

	I, too, have a 68LC040 chip. I have a Performa 636, 36 megs of RAM
and I'm running NetBSD on a 160 meg external drive (also no swap). While I
can get pico and some other things to work, X windows and PPP crap out
consistenly with segmentation faults. I think I may have one of the TRULY
buggy 68LC040's and I'm planning on upgrading.

	Just another perspective.

  "What really interests me *  Benjamin Shayne   * "God is a comedian,
   is whether God had any   *  Graphic Designer	 *  playing to an audience
   choice in the creation   *  Micro Consultant  *  too afraid to laugh."
   of the World." -Albert E.*    Space Cadet     *      - Voltaire