Subject: Re: The List
To: Tim Bessie <tbessie@eci.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/07/1998 11:47:26
[BTW, I'm posting this to port-mac68k...I hope you don't mind]

Tim Bessie wrote:

> 'Scuse me, but have you noticed the last 24 hours have seen
> almost 0 activity in port-mac68k?

No, activity is a little low, but the response time is quite fast (it
took less than 30 minutes for a reply to a message to show up).

> I posted something last night, but
> besides that, there's been pretty few.  Do you happen to know if
> the list server is having troubles?

Not as far as I know.  I've been getting mail from at least 6 of the
NetBSD lists that I'm on all morning long.  Since the release cycle is
over, we should be seeing fairly decent mail performance.  Perhaps it's
just a slow day, or else you're provider is having difficulties?

> Incidentally, you wouldn't happen to know the answer to
> the question I sent out, would you? (i.e. different compile
> dates in mac68k/binary/sets)

I'm not sure I saw that question....what was it again?  Oh, wait, now I
remember.  Strange things with links, if I remember correctly.  Now if my
'ls' on ftp.netbsd.org will finish, maybe I can answer your question.

Ah, now I see.  What you see is part of the wonderful advantage of
NetBSD's crossplatform nature.  The vast majority of NetBSD/m68k platforms
are binary compatible.  The links in the NetBSD/mac68k directory point to
those sets that are _completely_ binary compatible.  I think we are also
very close to having all of base be compatible as well (at least most of
the /usr hierarchy is binary compatible...I think there might have been a
couple of issues left to work out, tho).

In all likelihood, the fact that the binaries in the m68k directory have
modification dates that are later than the release is because they were
copied to the m68k directory from some other directory (like amiga,
mac68k, atari, etc) on the 5th and the links were made on the 6th.  I'm
pretty sure that the files in those archives are no different from the
release sets that you downloaded on the 4th or 5th.

Does that answer your question?

Later.