Subject: Re: MKFS / Install Problems
To: Henning Loeser <loeser@ax1301.physik.uni-marburg.de>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/07/1998 10:28:59
Henning Loeser wrote:

> I have been trying to install NetBSD 1.3 on my Quadra 700 but But I
> allready failed to install even the base package. This is the reported
> Problem during the installation process:
> #5 SCSI read
> #5 SCSI write
> (this a couple of times )
> and than someting like a cycle or block allocation error at /

Have you tried to install again?  Sometimes these errors will just "go
away".

> I messed with the MKFS formating options and the only thing I managed was
> that it will crush at a different point during the installation.
> My guess is that I need to use some more specific entries in the MKFS
> dialog for it to accept my hard drive (a Quantum FB1280S).
> The only 'Error' message the MKFS gives me is a 'Warning 188 Sectors in
> last cyl unallocated'
> (Messing with the parameters I can get the 188 to be a different number.)

It sounds like Mkfs worked just fine (the unallocated sectors just means
that you didn't quite find the optimal size for your partitions).  I doubt
that you'll need to adjust the parameters.

> I have partitioned the drive to hold a 850MB Mac-OS, 64MB Swap and a
> 365MB root&USR partition.

If I were you, I'd reformat the drive (well, if you've got stuff on the
MacOS partition, you can probably manage to just reinitialize the NetBSD
partition).  Then re-run Mkfs.  Also, is this an external drive?  I had a
few problems with NetBSD not liking having an external drive attached on
my Q700...might have been a termination problem.  Is your SCSI chain well
terminated?

Hopefully, some of the above will help.

Later.