Subject: PPP difficulties
To: NetBSD/mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/06/1998 22:14:45
I grabbed both PPP kits and the Networking HOWTO from puma, as well as
Hubert Feyrer's NetBSD Networking FAQ, and tried to get PPP working on
my 1.3 box. I'm pretty sure I got everything right, but my PPP
connection isn't really -- it uses SLiRP on the server end.

I've set up PPP to this account on several Macs just fine, and this
message was sent via the same... but I just can't figure out what I'm
missing when I set it up on NetBSD.

Interesting "features" of SLiRP that could be throwing a wrench into the
works:

1) it suggests an IP address of 10.0.2.15 (no problems on Mac)
2) it doesn't give you a hostname (ditto)
3) it requires that one enter an extra line in the chat script, to start
    up PPP-emulation
4) it spews a lot of info on startup (never caused problems on Mac)
5) it doesn't suggest a netmask or broadcast address (ditto)

Interesting "features" of Amitai that could be messing things up
further:

1) It's my first time configuring a UNIX box for networking

I did get resolv.conf right, and I entered the server's IP in /etc/hosts
properly... but something is missing. Is it possible to do PPP with
SLiRP when using a UNIX client?

- Amitai