Subject: Re: Upgrading
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Ripke <weripp@itwol.bhp.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/06/1998 16:35:46
Josh wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Mark Andres wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I had actually tried that. I don't remember the exact error message now,
> > but vi should refused to run.
>
> pico does run by setting the TERM var, I know that from experience :)
>
> > The more I think about it, the more I think it would be better to extract
> > the etc.tgz file into some safe place (maybe /root or /home) first and
> > edit the ~/etc/rc.conf file before you do anything else. Especially, for
> > newer users who may be upgrading a system for the first time, the pressure
> > and stress of upgrading may lead to mistakes. Being able to edit the
> > ~/etc/rc.conf file in a familiar environment will probably be safer. It
> > comes as a shock to a vi person like me, but I have heard that there
> > are also people who don't know how to use vi. Gasp!
>
> Well, I'd suggest if you have configured your own .cshrc or .profile in
> /root, not to expand etc.tgz there :) it rewrites those files (I expanded
> it in my home dir, and lost my precious .cshrc I had been building up for
> a while...)
>
> I suggest doing it in /tmp (even though you'll probably lose it after a
> restart...)

Just to add my 5 cents worth (we don't have 2 cent coins anymore down here..)
I always expand etc.tgz into /tmp, then while running dt, have a
"diff /etc /tmp/etc | more" running in one virtual terminal, and in another,
I just copy/merge/edit the changes in. It usually takes about half and hour,
if lots of things have changed, but this method has never let me down.

Besides, you also get to see the changes made, and often learn a few things
on the side ;-)

cya,
Paul Ripke
BHP Information Technology
OpenVMS & UNIX (AIX, DG/UX, SCO, IRIX, Digital, SunOS...) Sysadmin
Computer Centre, Five Islands Rd, Port Kembla, NSW 2505, AUSTRALIA
stixpjr@ozemail.com.au  weripp@itwol.bhp.com.au   pjr02@uow.edu.au
      Anyone wishing to lay claim to the opinions expressed
                herein, do so at their own risk.