Subject: Re: Upgrading
To: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
From: Josh Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/05/1998 23:46:49
On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Mark Andres wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had actually tried that. I don't remember the exact error message now,
> but vi should refused to run.

pico does run by setting the TERM var, I know that from experience :)

> The more I think about it, the more I think it would be better to extract
> the etc.tgz file into some safe place (maybe /root or /home) first and
> edit the ~/etc/rc.conf file before you do anything else. Especially, for
> newer users who may be upgrading a system for the first time, the pressure
> and stress of upgrading may lead to mistakes. Being able to edit the
> ~/etc/rc.conf file in a familiar environment will probably be safer. It
> comes as a shock to a vi person like me, but I have heard that there
> are also people who don't know how to use vi. Gasp!

Well, I'd suggest if you have configured your own .cshrc or .profile in
/root, not to expand etc.tgz there :) it rewrites those files (I expanded
it in my home dir, and lost my precious .cshrc I had been building up for
a while...)

I suggest doing it in /tmp (even though you'll probably lose it after a
restart...)

> I guess I don't mind using a line editor like 'ed' whereas most people
> probably would not like. I am used to it from my days administering a
> system running Pick OS. Don't ask.
>
> Mark
>
> On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Paul Goyette wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Mark Andres wrote:
> >
> > > Now here is the problem. In single-user mode, you cannot use vi or pico
> > > because they cannot find the TERM environmen variable. The only editor you
> > > have available is 'ed' which is a line editor.  So here is how you can use
> > > 'ed' to make the changes in the /etc/rc.conf file.
> >
> > Well, here's how you can use vi to make the changes:  at the shell
> > prompt, type the command ``export TERM=vt100'' and voila now you can use
> > vi!
>
> Best wishes for the new year,
>
>    Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net
>           Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
>    Me & NetBSD: http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/

Josh Hope                                          root@unixgeek.ml.org
UNIX System Administrator                        http://unixgeek.ml.org
'Endless roll the waters past!                        - Lay of Leithian
To this my love hath come at last,                    - Lines 1220-1223
enchanted waters pitiless,                           By: J.R.R. Tolkien
a heartache and a loneliness.'