Subject: Re: Running from Jaz disks?
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/05/1998 16:36:17
On Jan 5,  1:07pm, "Henry B. Hotz" wrote:
>At 2:54 PM -0800 1/4/98, Space Case wrote:
>>too, that if I run the Iomega Guest utility (provided I start up with
>>no cartridge in the drive), it doesn't matter what driver is on the
>>cartridge, it'll use the Iomega driver.
>
>Really?  I thought MacOS would load whatever driver was on the disk as part
>of the normal mount process.  I've been told that you should make sure all
>removable disks have the same version of the same driver on them because
>otherwise you can run out of system memory with all the redundant drivers
>taking up space for currently-unmounted disks.

'Tis true.  When you run Iomega Guest, it loads a driver for the drive,
and all cartridges thereafter are accessed with that driver.  Once I
booted with a Silverlining cartridge in place, ejected it, then tried
to run Iomega Guest, and Guest complained there was already a driver
loaded for the drive.

~Steve

--
Steven R. Allen - wormey@eskimo.com      http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/

	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>

If God had wanted you to go around nude, He would have given you bigger
hands.