Subject: Re: Boot problem
To: Clark Martin <cmartin@rahul.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/05/1998 14:09:07
Clark Martin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was trying to install NetBSD onto one of my computers and had a problem.
> When I launch 'NetBSD/Mac68k Booter' and tell it to boot, it seems to work
> okay, gets to the confirmation dialog, accepts my 'OK' and then hangs after
> very brief HD activity

Were you booting with extensions off?  Quite often, some of the extensions
will cause problems for the boot process.  Try booting MacOS with the
shift key down and then boot NetBSD.  That ought to help, I hope.

> RAM: 8
> Auto-size RAM: unchecked

I'd check Auto-size RAM, btw.

> NetBSD v 1.2.1 (per the docs and disk)

If I were you, I'd download a copy of NetBSD 1.3.  It was released
yesterday, and it offers _numerous_ improvements over 1.2.

> mkfs_1.4 does list an error:
>
> get_DeviceInfo: Error on SCSIRead(), #5, retry 0
> Probably just a phase error, ignore the error -- this time.
>
> I get it every time I run mkfs_1.4.  It didn't seem to affect formatting or
> installing the software.

The above is pretty much a harmless error (unless you get flooded with
it).

So, please try booting with extensions off and see if that fixes it for
you.  Oh, and once again, I'd recommend NetBSD 1.3.

Let us know how it goes.

Later.