Subject: Boot problem
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Clark Martin <cmartin@rahul.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/05/1998 13:49:56
Hello,

I was trying to install NetBSD onto one of my computers and had a problem.
When I launch 'NetBSD/Mac68k Booter' and tell it to boot, it seems to work
okay, gets to the confirmation dialog, accepts my 'OK' and then hangs after
very brief HD activity.

My system is:
Mac IIci
Monochrome monitor (640x480, 256 grays) using the onboard video
Asante Ethernet card
8Mb RAM
SCSI ID 0 is an 850Mb drive, all Mac Partition
SCSI ID 1 is an 730Mb drive
	 20Mb HFS
	200Mb UNIX_SVR2->Root file system
	 32Mb UNIX_SVR2->Swap
	363Mb UNIX_SVR2->Usr file system

Both Mac Partitions have System 7.6.1 on them.

NetBSD/Mac68k Booter was tried with the following settings:
Single User: checked & unchecked
Extra debuffing info: unchecked
GMT Bias -360 & -480
No env dumps: checked
Don't disable VBL...: checked
Don't bug me about...: unchecked
Show dialog & wait for OK...: unchecked
Halt boot on non-fatal errors: unchecked

Kernal Location: NetBSD/mac
Kernal Name: netbsd
Partition Name: root or (blank)
Root SCSI ID: 1 (it defaults to 2 for whatever reason
Ask?: Off
Miniroot: (blank)
RAM: 8
Auto-size RAM: unchecked

NetBSD v 1.2.1 (per the docs and disk)
NetBSD/Mac Install Utility 1.1
NetBSD/Mac68k Booter, v 1.9.5

I did pretty much a full install of NetBSD.  It was installed from CD-ROM
that was located on another machine, accessed via FileSharing.

mkfs_1.4 does list an error:

get_DeviceInfo: Error on SCSIRead(), #5, retry 0
Probably just a phase error, ignore the error -- this time.

I get it every time I run mkfs_1.4.  It didn't seem to affect formatting or
installing the software.

I had no other trouble during setup and install.

TIA

Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA
Macintosh / Internet Consulting