Subject: video lkm problems
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Valdes <valdes@tadpole.uchicago.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/05/1998 01:35:12
Hello all,

I'm trying to use the color video lkm from
ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/contrib/incoming/ender/ so that I can
use color X with a RasterOps 24S installed in a Mac IIcx running
NetBSD 1.3_BETA.  I've setup /etc/lkm.conf so that the lkm loads at
boot, but the lkm fails to load, panicking the kernel instead.  The
following are the messages displayed on the console at boot:

  macvid0 at nubus0 slot 9: RasterOps 24S
  macvid0: Unknown video card ID 0x287 -- Not installing interrupt routine.
  macvid0: 640 x 480, monochrome
  grf0 at macvid0
  ite0 at grf0 (minimal console)
  [...]
  video_lkm_combined: Possible modes: 0x80 0x81 0x82 0x83 0x84
  unknown OS trap 0xa11a, no trap address available
  panic: mrg_aline_super()

For MacOS, trap 0xA11A is GetZone, so it looks like the video card
driver is calling this trap, but NetBSD hasn't set an address for it.
Is the problem "simply" that the GetZone trap still needs to be
implemented or glue code provided for it for NetBSD?  If so, what
needs to be done in order to handle the GetZone trap?  What about
other traps (the card also calls SetZone)?

Previously, I was using this hardware with a NetBSD 1.2 color enabled
kernel (from Taras Ivanenko; I believe the video_lkm is based on his
initial non-lkm driver).  Boot messages from that kernel were:

  macvid0 at nubus0: RasterOps 24S
  Possible modes:  0x80 0x81 0x82 0x83 0x84
  GetZone returning 0x00000000
  SetZone 0x000d4a28
  SetZone 0x00000000
  GetZone returning 0x00000000
  SetZone 0x000d4a28
  SetZone 0x00000000
  SM:Unknown Slot Manager routine 0x11
  macvid0: 640 x 480, monochrome
  grf0 at macvid0
  ite0 at grf0 (minimal console)

So far, NetBSD 1.3 (BETA) has been working well on my IIcx; once I
have X working in color, I can finally scrap my old NetBSD 1.2
installation.

John