Subject: Re: video lkm problems
To: None <j-valdes@uchicago.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/1998 23:48:50
John Valdes wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to use the color video lkm from
> ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/contrib/incoming/ender/ so that I can
> use color X with a RasterOps 24S installed in a Mac IIcx running
> NetBSD 1.3_BETA.  I've setup /etc/lkm.conf so that the lkm loads at
> boot, but the lkm fails to load, panicking the kernel instead.  The
> following are the messages displayed on the console at boot:
>
>   macvid0 at nubus0 slot 9: RasterOps 24S
>   macvid0: Unknown video card ID 0x287 -- Not installing interrupt routine.
>   macvid0: 640 x 480, monochrome
>   grf0 at macvid0
>   ite0 at grf0 (minimal console)
>   [...]
>   video_lkm_combined: Possible modes: 0x80 0x81 0x82 0x83 0x84
>   unknown OS trap 0xa11a, no trap address available
>   panic: mrg_aline_super()

Hmmm...I'd recommend getting a copy of Paul Goyette's SLOTMAN kernel and
trying it instead.  His kernel should support a wider variety of cards
than the LKM does.

> For MacOS, trap 0xA11A is GetZone, so it looks like the video card
> driver is calling this trap, but NetBSD hasn't set an address for it.
> Is the problem "simply" that the GetZone trap still needs to be
> implemented or glue code provided for it for NetBSD?  If so, what
> needs to be done in order to handle the GetZone trap?  What about
> other traps (the card also calls SetZone)?

I'm fairly sure that Paul's SLOTMAN changes implement enough of the Slot
Manager to avoid these kinds of errors (i.e. the glue should all be there,
I believe).

> Previously, I was using this hardware with a NetBSD 1.2 color enabled
> kernel (from Taras Ivanenko; I believe the video_lkm is based on his
> initial non-lkm driver).  Boot messages from that kernel were:
>
>   macvid0 at nubus0: RasterOps 24S
>   Possible modes:  0x80 0x81 0x82 0x83 0x84
>   GetZone returning 0x00000000
>   SetZone 0x000d4a28
>   SetZone 0x00000000
>   GetZone returning 0x00000000
>   SetZone 0x000d4a28
>   SetZone 0x00000000
>   SM:Unknown Slot Manager routine 0x11
>   macvid0: 640 x 480, monochrome
>   grf0 at macvid0
>   ite0 at grf0 (minimal console)
>
> So far, NetBSD 1.3 (BETA) has been working well on my IIcx; once I
> have X working in color, I can finally scrap my old NetBSD 1.2
> installation.

Hmmm...it's fairly strange that the LKM doesn't work now when it worked
before, but I had to do some rather nasty things to it to get it work
usably, so I might have broken something.  Of course, there have been
numerous changes to the other parts of the grf driver as well, so it might
be that which is causing trouble.

Anyway, please try a SLOTMAN kernel (or get the patches and compile your
own) and let us know how it goes.

Later.