Subject: Re: Running from Jaz disks?
To: Coevoet Marc <marc.coevoet@skynet.be>
From: Capt. Avram Dorfman <dorfman@pentagon.mil>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/1998 23:41:42
I'm having a lot of problems. First, I keep getting:

	tar: can't write to u1/u1.tar : Input/output error

When I try to tar into the new disk. It doesn't happen often, but often
enough. Like 1 in 50 file writes fail this way.

Second, the console is spewing tons of these:

	sd2(ncrscsi0:4:0) error code: 0

over and over again (much more often then the above error, possibly on
every write).

Finally, and most imporant (looking anyway) is this, which I get during
boot, and the first time I try to mount the disk:

	sd2(ncrscsi0:4:0): illegal request, data= 33 90 01 32 c9 00 00 6d
	b6 db 6d b6 db 6d b6 db 6d

	sd2: could not mode sense (4): using fictitious geometry

I'd appreciate any advise anyone coudl give me.

Here's what I did to get here:

1) formated w/ silverlining
2) used silverlinging to manually give this disk a 100mb AUX/root, a 64mb
   swap,  a 20mb Mac partition, and an ~850mb AUX/usr
   note that i did *not* pick one of the A/UX sets that has all that
   stuff that it makes in addition to everything I wanted as above.
3) ran makefs on the root & user, with the defaults.
4) then I mount them in /tmp/jaz & /tmp/jaz/u1 using mount -t ufs /dev/sd2?

-Capt Avram Dorfman
Chief, Network Operations
email: dorfman@pentagon.mil
(last resort email: avram@pobox.com)