Subject: Re: 11 MacBSD newbie questions... Answers not found in archives 8-(
To: CTAPYXA <ctapyxa@UCSD.Edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/1998 14:45:56
Answers in-line below...

On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, CTAPYXA wrote:

> I am running a 1.3 ALPHA with XWindows on Quadra 650 (see hardware specs
> below). Installation went almost without problems, those that appeared I
> was able to resolve using the archive and digest, both of which I have on
> my local HD.
>
> Still, there are several questions that remained unanswered, and I would
> like to ask more experienced users about them.
>
> 1. Is it possible to use a dynamic IP? That's how netcom (and ucsd) works,
> and I wonder if I would be able to connect under MacBSD, without requesting
> any changes in service.

Yes.  The pppd that comes with NetBSD will do dynamic IUP addresses
without batting an eye-lash.

> 2. I run XWindows in B/W. What is the benefit of the SLOTMAN kernel? Does
> it allow color X with a NuBus card? I wasn't able to find an overview of
> the features and hardware requirements. Does the internal video remain
> functional?  Do I have to do any grf setup, or just replacing the
> kernel must do the trick?

(My expertise, being the author of SLOTMAN...)  Depending on the model
of Macintosh you have, and the model of nubus video card, SLOTMAN _may_
make it possible for you to run Xwindows in color.  Although I haven't
tried it (I only have one monitor), the internal video should continue
to work just fine, albeit only in B&W.  The SLOTMAN kernel uses the
Mac's ROM-based SlotManager code (hence the name) rather than the
original nubus.c code to access the nubus cards;  otherwise it is
identical to more "normal" NetBSD/Mac68k kernels.  It uses the same
auto-configure mechanisms, so you don't have to do anything special to
get it to work.

> 3. I have a 2x external CD-ROM:NEC 55 firmware 1.0. If I have it on during
> boot the system hangs with about 20 identical lines of text mentioning
> "rogue device" or something. Is this a known incompatibility, or do I need
> to do some setup for it to work? I also have a Tandberg tape in the same
> case, but the messages seem to relate to the CD-ROM. I can provide
> additional message text if needed.

The additional text might be useful.  But the mention of "rogue" is
specific to the tape drive stuff.  My Exabyte-8200 was a rogue, too,
until I figured out what it needed.

> 4. Is it possible to utilize second monitor without X? If so, what kind of
> configuration do I have to do?

What would you use it for?  After all, you've only got one keyboard!  :)
But anyway, the GENERIC kernels will configure whatever displays it
finds, whether they're internal video or nubus card(s).

> The following are generic questions related to the UNIX and XWindows. If
> they could be answered here, it'd be great, if not, please refer me to the
> appropriate source of information.
>
> 5. When I created a user in order to login as a user (not root), I was
> asked for group id. I supplied a random number (or even a word), but was
> told that the number must be between 10 and some other high  number. I used
> group id 11. As a result, if I login as a user now, I can't mount HFS
> volumes and use su command (permission denied). How do I change this? Can I
> change group id for this user to wheel? Will it take care of this problem?

Edit your /etc/group file and add your new user name to the end of the
line that contains "wheel" - this will make you a member of the wheel
group, and allow you to use su.

> 6. What are the rules for man pages installation? I installed man pages for
> xfm, but after formatting the page is presented in a narrow column in the
> middle of the screen, without headers and page breaks. The source appears
> to have something looking like groff commands, though.

How did you install the man page?

> 7. If I try to run xman under X I get a message that MANPATH is incorrect.
> To which directory MANPATH must point, in what file is it set up for xman?
> I seem to have my MANPATH all right, pointing to /usr/X11R6/man or cat or
> both...

I have ``setenv MANPATH "/usr/share/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/X11R6/man"''
in my .xsession file.

> 8. Where and how do I change what application starts up when I doubleclick
> the file? All text files want to fire emacs, which I don't have, I'd much
> rather use a simple text editor (textedit - or something - one that's
> included)

Double-click files?  What window manager / file browser are you using?

> 9. How do I load pager (and other modules) at startup of X? Is it the same
> as apps? Doesn't seem to be...

Should be - check out your .xinitrc and/or .xsession file (depending on
how you start X).

> 10. I am unable to install icons for xfm, although have the corresponding
> line set up in the xfmrc. What exactly bitmaps and pixmaps are? When an
> installation README tells me to ``install the icons,'' without further
> explanations, how do I go about it? I.e., what's the generic process?

Probably by typing a ``make install.icons'' or something similar - check
the product's Makefile.

> 11. Are the color references in fvwm (and others) given in hexadecimal RGB
> - same as internet colors?

I think so, but I'm not sure.  Try it.

> I use startx, .xinitrc, fvwm, xfm. Hardware: 24 Meg RAM, 500 Meg HD, Quadra
> 650. External video card: Macintosh II video card 1987. Internal video: 1
> Meg

If you want to try, your configuration _should_ work with the SLOTMAN
kernel.  You can ftp it from the ftp://ftp.whooppee.com/pub/slotman
directory on my home server.

| Paul Goyette       | Public Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Consultant |  0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker  |  E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |