Subject: 11 MacBSD newbie questions... Answers not found in archives 8-(
To: MacBSD Newsletter <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: CTAPYXA <ctapyxa@UCSD.Edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/1998 14:00:19
I am running a 1.3 ALPHA with XWindows on Quadra 650 (see hardware specs
below). Installation went almost without problems, those that appeared I
was able to resolve using the archive and digest, both of which I have on
my local HD.

Still, there are several questions that remained unanswered, and I would
like to ask more experienced users about them.

1. Is it possible to use a dynamic IP? That's how netcom (and ucsd) works,
and I wonder if I would be able to connect under MacBSD, without requesting
any changes in service.

2. I run XWindows in B/W. What is the benefit of the SLOTMAN kernel? Does
it allow color X with a NuBus card? I wasn't able to find an overview of
the features and hardware requirements. Does the internal video remain
functional?
Do I have to do any grf setup, or just replacing the kernel must do the trick?

3. I have a 2x external CD-ROM:NEC 55 firmware 1.0. If I have it on during
boot the system hangs with about 20 identical lines of text mentioning
"rogue device" or something. Is this a known incompatibility, or do I need
to do some setup for it to work? I also have a Tandberg tape in the same
case, but the messages seem to relate to the CD-ROM. I can provide
additional message text if needed.

4. Is it possible to utilize second monitor without X? If so, what kind of
configuration do I have to do?

The following are generic questions related to the UNIX and XWindows. If
they could be answered here, it'd be great, if not, please refer me to the
appropriate source of information.

5. When I created a user in order to login as a user (not root), I was
asked for group id. I supplied a random number (or even a word), but was
told that the number must be between 10 and some other high  number. I used
group id 11. As a result, if I login as a user now, I can't mount HFS
volumes and use su command (permission denied). How do I change this? Can I
change group id for this user to wheel? Will it take care of this problem?

6. What are the rules for man pages installation? I installed man pages for
xfm, but after formatting the page is presented in a narrow column in the
middle of the screen, without headers and page breaks. The source appears
to have something looking like groff commands, though.

7. If I try to run xman under X I get a message that MANPATH is incorrect.
To which directory MANPATH must point, in what file is it set up for xman?
I seem to have my MANPATH all right, pointing to /usr/X11R6/man or cat or
both...

8. Where and how do I change what application starts up when I doubleclick
the file? All text files want to fire emacs, which I don't have, I'd much
rather use a simple text editor (textedit - or something - one that's
included)

9. How do I load pager (and other modules) at startup of X? Is it the same
as apps? Doesn't seem to be...

10. I am unable to install icons for xfm, although have the corresponding
line set up in the xfmrc. What exactly bitmaps and pixmaps are? When an
installation README tells me to ``install the icons,'' without further
explanations, how do I go about it? I.e., what's the generic process?

11. Are the color references in fvwm (and others) given in hexadecimal RGB
- same as internet colors?

I use startx, .xinitrc, fvwm, xfm. Hardware: 24 Meg RAM, 500 Meg HD, Quadra
650. External video card: Macintosh II video card 1987. Internal video: 1
Meg

Thanks to all taking time and effort to answer.

Yuri Oskotsky