Subject: Re: A NetBSD Mac 68k problem(s)
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/1998 13:13:05
> 	TO boot into single user you will need to do a few things... which
> I'm not sure if they have been added to the install docs or not, but I
> know can be confusing for new users.
>
> 	1) You will have to make yhour file-system writeable, so that you
> can edit /etc/rc.conf so that your system will LET you boot into
> multi-user. To do this, type:
>
> 	mount -uw /
>
> 	It may say something about your filesystm not being clean... you
> can ignore that for now, first we will get you ready to boot into
> multi-user.

Ack! If you get a complaint about the filesystem not being clean,
take care of that before proceeding! If you start writing to a
damaged file system, you can make things worse.

When you boot, if you get a message complaining that the root filesystem
is not clean, then type mount -u -o rdonly / (this will make the root
partition read-only again). Then type "sync" to write out any changes
stored in the computer. Then "fsck -f /" to fix up the root partition.
Then reboot ("reboot").

> 	Open the file /etc/rc.conf and look for a line saying
> rc_configured=NO and change the NO to YES (rc_configured=YES) This will
> tell NetBSD that it is ok to boot into multi-user. To boot into multi-user
> from single, just type exit.

This should be in the install notes.

Take care,

Bill