Subject: Re: Running from Jaz disks?
To: Capt. Avram Dorfman <dorfman@pentagon.mil>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/1998 12:31:14
Capt. Avram Dorfman wrote:

> Has anyone tried mounting, or booting from a Jaz disk?

I believe so, although not me personally.

> Is it any different than using a regular hard disk?

Technically, no.  In reality, yes.  Many people seem to have found
increased stability problems with removable media (i.e. they are more
susceptible to filesystem corruption).

> Is it possible to eject Jaz disks on the fly?

I don't think so, at least not yet.

> Do you have to do anything special to set a Jaz disk up?

Take a look at the newer Zip HOWTO, it should be in:

ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/docs/notes/

except perhaps for the greater size of the Jaz cartridge, the rest of the
settings quoted in that document for use with Mkfs should work with the
Jaz, I think.  Please let us know how it goes!

Later.