Subject: Re: A NetBSD Mac 68k problem(s)
To: Mikko Tanner <moonshine@fimug.fi>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bal=E1zs_B=E1r=E1ny?= <bb@lb-data.co.at>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/1998 17:44:51
Hi,

> Why doesn't the login prompt appear when I boot into Linux in the =
single user
> mode? It just keeps asking "Enter pathname of shell or return for sh" =
and I
> answer /bin/sh. Is that the correct path?
The single user mode is for repairing errors and installing packages, =
not for
working. In the Booter's Options you can switch "single user" off.

> just says "no mail for root". Well, does the "Login:" prompt have to =
appear
Then, Login will appear. (BTW, you can edit /root/.login and delete the =
message=20
with su.)

> after bootup, or just that #-mark? Do the mac's networking =
capabilities have to
> be installed prior to bootup?
It works without network, you can install it afterwards.

> Why can't I use mkdir to create new directories in for example root's =
home
> directory? Or in anywhere else? It just presents me with message =
"permission
> denied".
Because of single user mode.

> Where are the definitions for search paths, user characteristics etc? =
For
> example adduser and mkdir won't work.=20
do a "cat .cshrc" in your home directory (/root).=20

> Which are the mailing lists for 68k mac users? I would like to mail a =
few
> questions there, too.
mail to majordomo@netbsd.org with text "subscribe port-mac68k"
Bal=E1zs B=E1r=E1ny    bb@lb-data.co.at    http://www.lb-data.co.at/bb

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice