Subject: Re: A NetBSD Mac 68k problem(s)
To: Mikko Tanner <moonshine@fimug.fi>
From: Capt. Avram Dorfman <dorfman@pentagon.mil>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/1998 10:50:28
Here's a few answers...

1) you're booting in single-user mode and mounting your root filesystem
read-only. That's why you can't mkdir, and that's when it's asking your
for the shell path. When you're in MacOS, go into the booter, but *don't*
launch netbsd. (hit "cmd-." if necessary to stop booting). Then  go into=20
preferences, and select "multi-user."

2) You probably have the wrong device-ids for your disks. NetBSD doesn't=20
use SCSI ID. It just uses the order it finds the disks, which I believe=20
is the order that they appear in the chain.=20

Hope this helps some.

-Capt Avram Dorfman
Chief, Network Operations
email: dorfman@pentagon.mil
(last resort email: avram@pobox.com)

:%s/\(do|-<\)/\1\1/g
:1,$d

On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Mikko Tanner wrote:

> Hi!
>=20
> I have a friend who has problems with NetBSD. He has a Mac IIci and has b=
een
> asking for my help for weeks now, but I don't know much and we thought ab=
out
> sending these questions to you. I wish you could unveil at least a couple=
 of
> these problems so that he could get his software working.
>=20
> Here's his post in entirety (which I translated so blame my bad English):
>=20
>=20
> At first here's my machinery: Mac IIcx, 8MB RAM and a Quantum Lightning 3=
49MB
> hard disk (in a separate casing, ID 6) containing the NetBSD/68k software=
.=20
> (And yes, I have installed the correct version for 68k Macs.)
>=20
> A)
> Why doesn't the login prompt appear when I boot into Linux in the single =
user
> mode? It just keeps asking "Enter pathname of shell or return for sh" and=
> answer /bin/sh. Is that the correct path?
>=20
> Then the #-mark appears. Do I have to login again with the login command?=
 If I