Subject: 2 consoles?! under X
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dan McMahill <mcmahill@alum.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/03/1998 23:34:28
I am getting strange behaviour with X.  I am using:

NetBSD 1.3_BETA (SLOTMAN) #162: Wed Dec  3 18:36:18 PST 1997
    paul@mac1.whooppee.com:/home/paul/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/SLOTMAN
        (current as of Tue Dec 2 06:35:07 1997)
Apple Macintosh IIci  (68030)
nubus0 at mainbus0 (slotmanager)
macvid0 at nubus0 slot c: SuperMac Spectrum 8 Series III v1.2
macvid0: 1024 x 768, monochrome
grf0 at macvid0
ite0 at grf0 (minimal console)

I am using Colins brand new color X server.  And the 1.3_BETA
x distribution.
Today, I started using xdm (I had been using "startx" up
until now).  I switched to xdm because it has the hooks to
have console ownership changed on login.  That way I can
have a couple of different acounts on my machine that all
work.

These scripts seems to work, for example:

dinah-moe-dan (127)-% ls -l /dev/console
crw--w--w-  1 dan  wheel    0,   0 Jan  3 23:12 /dev/console
dinah-moe-dan (128)-% whoami
dan
dinah-moe-dan (129)-%

and when I log in under a different account, I get the correct
changing of console ownership.

What I am seeing is the following:

I can run either "xconsole" or "xterm -C" and I do in fact get
the console messages in the console window.  Unfortunately, I also
get the console messages (plus a few others ?!) at the bottom of the
screen which messes up all my windows.  In particular I seem to get
a couple of extra messages when my ppp connection is made (something
about /dev/tty0 <-> ppp0 or some such thing) at the bottom of the
screen which don't appear in the console.

If I try
echo "hello" > /dev/console

I only get the "hello" in the console window.

Note that this stuff didn't happen this morning before I switched
to using xdm.

Is it a syslog.conf problem?  I have:
#       $NetBSD: syslog.conf,v 1.6 1997/02/21 09:04:26 mikel Exp $

*.err;kern.*;auth.notice;authpriv.none;mail.crit        /dev/console
*.info;auth,authpriv,cron,ftp,kern,lpr,mail.none        /var/log/messages
kern.debug                                              /var/log/messages

# The authpriv log file should be restricted access; these
# messages shouldn't go to terminals or publically-readable
# files.
auth,authpriv.info                                      /var/log/authlog

cron.info                                               /var/cron/log
ftp.info                                                /var/log/xferlog
lpr.info                                                /var/log/lpd-errs
mail.info                                               /var/log/maillog
#uucp.info                                              /var/spool/uucp/ERRORS

*.emerg                                                 *
*.notice;auth.debug                                     root

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Dan