Subject: Re: Problems with SE30 and Generic Kernels >#48
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: John Valdes <valdes@macavity.uchicago.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/02/1998 04:15:05
Colin Wood writes:
> John Valdes wrote:
>
> > If it makes a difference, I do have a non-Apple keyboard, a KeyTronic
> > MacPro extended keyboard.  AFAIK, though, this keyboard is identical
> > to the Apple extended keyboard.
>
> Ah!  Well, it must be ever so slightly different.  My guess would be that
> it doesn't quite conform to the proper Apple timing specs.  Do you happen
> to know what handler id it uses or what ADB device number it has?
> Actually, the appropriate line from a successful boot should answer both
> questions.

Hmm, I'm not sure how to determine this, but I think the device number
is 2.  Here are the relevant lines from a successful boot.

 NetBSD 1.3_BETA (TADPOLE) #1: Thu Jan  1 21:34:21 PST 1998
     root@:/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/TADPOLE
 Apple Macintosh IIcx  (68030)
 cpu: delay factor 141
 real mem = 20971520
 avail mem = 16961536
 using 204 buffers containing 835584 bytes of memory
 mrg: 'Mac II class ROMs' ROM glue, tracing off, debug off, silent traps
 mrg: I/O map kludge for ROMs that use hardware addresses directly.
 adb: using II series hardware support
 adb: ADBReInit complete
 adb: extended keyboard at 2
 adb: 100 dpi mouse at 3

Another fact which may effect timing; my IIcx also has a DayStar 50MHz
accelerator, though (until my last kernel rebuilt ;) ) I've been
booting it with the external cache disabled.  BTW, when booting the
GENERIC kernel, it hangs right after the first "adb:" is printed;
nothing appears after the "adb:".

John