Subject: Re: Web Browsers and other growing pains(IIsi)
To: Marc Coevoet <marc.coevoet@skynet.be>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/02/1998 08:56:56
Hi,

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997, Marc Coevoet wrote:

> Maybe a suggestion for the user survey:  could there be made a list
> for every machine reflecting best kernel+netbsd-version?

I tried, but I think it is really impossible. I made a database of
different Mac models and kernels. However, there a several large problems
with making this work successfully. First, NetBSD is always changing. The
"best" kernel for a Quadra 800 today may not be the "best" kernel for a
Quadra 800 tomorrow. Also, different kernels may provide different
functions. For example, one kernel might allow internel Ethernet to work
on a 660AV. Another kernel might allow X at 832x624 resolution on the same
machine. So, which one is "best" for a 660AV?

Second, there is a problem collecting information from all the different
users runnihng all the different models of Macintosh. Getting users to
fill out forms on web-pages is difficult. Then, it also takes a lot of
time to work through that information and make it useful. And as all this
happens, NetBSD continues to change and make yesterday's information
obsolete.

I have put together a simple web page that tries to explain the
differences between all the different types of kernels. However, I always
welcome more and newer information.

   http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/kernels.html

Mark

   Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net