Subject: Re: Problems with SE30 and Generic Kernels >#48
To: None <j-valdes@uchicago.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/01/1998 23:00:24
John Valdes wrote:

> Colin Wood writes:
> > I just built a kernel from 1.3_BETA sources, and it appears to work just
> > fine on my SE/30 (the ADB sources at least are current).  I'll try the
> > latest GENERIC and see if it makes any difference, tho...
>
> I built an essentially generic kernel (removing unneeded options and
> devices) from the 1.3_BETA sources (from 12/27), and it still hung on
> adb init.  After removing the MRG_ADB option and rebuilding, the
> kernel now boots fine.

Hmmm...I just booted GENERIC#55 on my SE/30 here, and it worked just fine.

> If it makes a difference, I do have a non-Apple keyboard, a KeyTronic
> MacPro extended keyboard.  AFAIK, though, this keyboard is identical
> to the Apple extended keyboard.

Ah!  Well, it must be ever so slightly different.  My guess would be that
it doesn't quite conform to the proper Apple timing specs.  Do you happen
to know what handler id it uses or what ADB device number it has?
Actually, the appropriate line from a successful boot should answer both
questions.

Later.