Subject: Re: IIcx without video card
To: Armen Babikyan <synapse@lethargy.mit.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/01/1998 19:44:30
Armen Babikyan wrote:

[ trouble booting headless ]

> > Unfortunately, this won't work at the moment under NetBSD.  The older
> > II-series machines (the ones with dirty ROM's) appear to have problems
> > booting without a keyboard and mouse connected.  I know where the problem
> > is, but I just don't know why.  To work around this, you'd either need a
> > kernel with HWDIRECT ADB support, else compile ADB support out of the
> > kernel completely (I'm not sure what this would break, if anything, tho).
>
> hmm....i'd be willing to pull out the mouse and keyboard after the system
> is booted, i guess. this can't be that big of a problem. not supposed to
> be done, though...i know.

I wouldn't do this if I were you.  You'd be seriously risking the
keyboard, the mouse, and the onboard ADB controller.

[ booting w/o a NuBus video card ]

Ah! Oops!  Must've missed that one.  Does it even power-on the machine in
this case?  Any kind of Sad Mac sounds (i.e. the chimes of death)?

I've got to admit, I don't think I've ever tried it this way....

> for the heck of it, i just plugged in a Sigma designs specialized video
> card into the nubus slot (for which i have no monitor for), and the MacOS
> "hears" to be booting up, but there is some kind of problem when running
> into NetBSD cause the network interface doesn't come up. maybe i'll see if
> booting into serial console does the trick, but i'd rather not use this
> video card if i don't have to...:\

I seem to remember people having trouble booting NetBSD w/o any kind of
video attached.  This is what my previous advice about shorting pins was
meant to cover.

Later.