Subject: Re: IIcx without video card
To: Armen Babikyan <synapse@lethargy.mit.edu>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/01/1998 19:21:04
On Thu, 1 Jan 1998, Armen Babikyan wrote:

> Hi,
> I just took apart my IIvx to use one of it's video cards in my IIcx, which
> i just installed NetBSD on.  I set the machine to auto-boot itself and set
> up it's ethernet and stuff.  However, I really would like to put the video
> card back in the IIvx, and the keyboard/mouse belongs to one of my other
> computers.  I just attempted to boot the IIcx headless (and
> video-cardless) and mouse/keyboard-less, and it doesn't seem to even be
> booting up the MacOS (no noise from disk drive).
>
> Can this machine be booted this way? or does some hardware limitation
> prevent this machine from working with this configuration?

	I've not tried booting my IIcx without a keyboard/mouse, but I
know it works without a monitor, when I plug a SVGA adapter into the video
card's slot. Now... the IIcx doesn't come with internal video. So, there
is no way to fake a monitor's presence THAT I KNOW OF. I'm sure this can
be done in-kernel.... but I personally have no clue how ;-) I'm sure
someone else on the list could help you though. There may be other people
who would like to do the same thing. Otherwise, you will need SOME kind of
video card in one of the nubus slots and an adapter plugged into it so
that the computer thinks it has a monitor attached. That works for me with
both the IIcx and the IIci. I like the idea of running with no
keyboard/mouse too... I have all of my computers in one room, and it'll
save me a bit of space if I can run without a keyboard and mouse.

	Ryan

-----
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!