Subject: Re: IIcx without video card
To: Armen Babikyan <synapse@lethargy.mit.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/01/1998 18:50:00
Armen Babikyan wrote:

> I just took apart my IIvx to use one of it's video cards in my IIcx, which
> i just installed NetBSD on.  I set the machine to auto-boot itself and set
> up it's ethernet and stuff.  However, I really would like to put the video
> card back in the IIvx, and the keyboard/mouse belongs to one of my other
> computers.  I just attempted to boot the IIcx headless (and
> video-cardless) and mouse/keyboard-less, and it doesn't seem to even be
> booting up the MacOS (no noise from disk drive).

Unfortunately, this won't work at the moment under NetBSD.  The older
II-series machines (the ones with dirty ROM's) appear to have problems
booting without a keyboard and mouse connected.  I know where the problem
is, but I just don't know why.  To work around this, you'd either need a
kernel with HWDIRECT ADB support, else compile ADB support out of the
kernel completely (I'm not sure what this would break, if anything, tho).

> Can this machine be booted this way? or does some hardware limitation
> prevent this machine from working with this configuration?

I don't know of any reason why MacOS would refuse to boot, but if you look
in the FAQ, I think there is a Q&A about booting headless.  I believe a
paperclip is all you need to do it the somewhat unsafe way (well, I don't
know that it's unsafe, but shorting pins with a paperclip just seems a
little kludgey to me ;-)

I hope this helps some.

Later.