Subject: Re: multiple serial port card
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/31/1997 12:52:58
> 	I recently acquired an Applied Engineering Shadow nubus card which
> adds another 4 serial ports. I can't remember for sure, but I think that
> when I tried booting my IIcx with this installed it DID recognize it, but

It won't work out of the box. I own one of these cards as well and wanted to
make it work but I've spent so much time on intvid I doubt if I'll ever
get time to do it.

The good thing, though, is that it should be fairly trivial to get it to
work. The serial chips are standard issue. All you have to do is find out
where in the card's NuBus space each serial chip lives. Then, thanks to
Bill's abstract serial stuff, you can write a small match/attach routine
that checks for the card. If the card's there pass the chip offsets to the
abstract serial driver and you're basically done. This assumes that you can
kernel hack, of course.

> 	Any ideas about this? Does anyone know how I might go about
> contacting them for info, or does that company even exist anymore? ;-)

AE Died about two years ago if I recall but, as I said, the hardware on the
card is pretty much well known.

This gives you two problems: find a unique way to identify the card (use
the SLOTs program to get the card ID) and find the base address of the serial
chips in the card's NuBus space (fiddle around in Macsbug and look at the
assembly of the drivers in ResEdit).

Good hunting!