Subject: Re: Java available?
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Roy Wood <rrwood@execulink.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/31/1997 12:21:42
>I've seen some references to Java on some free Unices.  What's the scoop?
>Is Net/Open-BSD/m68k one of them?

I've only just started investigating this myself, but it looks like kaffe
is the way to go.  It's a Java virtual machine, so it interprets/runs Java
bytecode.  Combined with a couple of other companion packages, it seems
like a fairly complete Java runtime environment.  This is what the README
says:

-Roy

KAFFE v0.9.1 - A JIT and interpreting virtual machine to run Java(tm)* code

                *** Kaffe is now JDK 1.1.2 compliant ***

This is Kaffe, a virtual machine design to execute Java bytecode.
This machine can be configured in two modes.  In one mode it operates as
a pure bytecode interpreter (not unlike Javasoft's machine); in the second
mode if performs "just-in-time" code conversion from the abstract code to
the host machine's native code.  This will ultimately allow execution of
Java code at the same speed as standard compiled code but while maintaining
the advantages and flexibility of code independence.

Important notes
===============

 * This is a snapshot release and is unlikely to work on all platforms.
   Please report problems and fixes in the usual way.

 * This snapshot does *NOT* work with AWT so please don't ask my why
   appletviewer doesn't run.

What's new
==========

 * Kaffe is now JDK 1.1.2 compliant !

 * Added -verbosemem options to dump extensive memory allocation statistics.

 * Major reduction in memory footprint.

 * Use of code trampolines to speed method translation and dispatch.

 * Lots of bug fixes (see Changelog)

What can run Kaffe
==================

This version of Kaffe will run on the following platforms:

  uProc     | Mode |    Systems
  i386      | J+I  |    FreeBSD 2.x +   Unixware        NetBSD 1.x
            |      |    Solaris 2.x     BSDI 2.x        Linux 2.0.0 +
            |      |    SCO 3.2v5       NeXTStep 3.x    Windows '95
            |      |    DG/UX           OpenBSD 2.x     OpenStep 4.x
            |      |    QNX 4.x
  Sparc     | J+I  |    SunOS 4.x       Solaris 2.x     NetBSD 1.x
            |      |    NeXTStep 3.x    Linux           Fujitsu UXP/DS
            |      |    BSDI 3.x
  Alpha     | J+I  |    Linux           OSF/1
  M68K      | J+I  |    AmigaOS         NeXTStep 3.x    NetBSD 1.x
            |      |    SunOS 4.x       Linux           AUX
            |      |    OpenBSD 2.x
  PowerPC   | I    |    MkLinux         MachTen 4.0.3   AIX
  MIPS      | I    |    IRIX 5 & 6      NetBSD 1.x
  PARISC    | I    |    HPUX 10.x
  StrongARM | I    |    RiscIX          (work-in-progress)

Although the system is relatively portable, some machine and processor
specific code is necessary.  If operating in an interpreting mode, it
is only necessary to supply thread switching code.  This allows relatively
simple ports of Kaffe to be made to new platforms.
If operating in JIT mode, significant machine dependent code is required in
order to provide the internal native code generator.  Ports to new
architecture are obviously more complex although the code generator is itself
reasonably portable.

Who can use Kaffe
=================

This version of Kaffe is distributed under a Berkeley style license.
Essentially you can use Kaffe for both personal and commerical purpose, on
its own or as part of another package (see license.terms for full details).

Kaffe Web and FTP sites
the Kaffe project.  There lists are:

        kaffe@kaffe.org                         - General discussions
        kaffe-announce@kaffe.org                - Announcements

These lists are archived at:

        http://opera.inrialpes.fr/tools/Kaffe/messages/

To subscribe to these lists send a message containing the word "subscribe"
to either:

        kaffe-request@kaffe.org
        kaffe-announce-request@kaffe.org

depending what you are interested in.

If you want to report bugs directly to me, you can now use the script

        report-kaffe-bug

This should be automatically installed during the standard installation
procedure.  The system is based on GNU's GNATS but has been specifically
tailored for Kaffe's purposes.  Just invoke the command from your shell
and it'll ask for all the necessary details.

You can also check out the Kaffe related web pages at:

        http://www.kaffe.org/

What you need
=============

For a Kaffe system you need the following parts:

 kaffe-0.9.1.tgz                        Virtual machine and all bits
                                        provided by tjwassoc.co.uk
 kaffe-0.9.1-package-javasoft.com.tgz   Sun's class libraries.

These two are are the minimum to get something useful working (you might
already have the classes libraries from JDK 1.0.2; if so don't bother to
get them again).

If you want to use graphics you'll need one of the following:

 kaffe-0.9.1-package-biss-net.com.tgz   AWT graphics support.
 kaffe-0.9.1-package-epfl.ch.tgz        Alternative graphics support.

Uncompress and untar these archives into the same directory.

Compiling Kaffe for UNIX
========================

The machine comes complete with the interpreter, stub generator, and
supporting native libraries.   Compilation is controlled using the
GNU autoconf program.  To generate the necessary makefiles
type "./configure" in this directory.  This will identify your system
and configure the software appropriately.  If JIT mode is supported on your
system it will be selected automatically, otherwise it defaults to
interpreting mode.  Compilation should then be a simple matter of
typing "make" in this directory, but note that you must use a version
of "make" which supports VPATH.  If your version does not (Sun's version
doesn't) I suggest you use GNU make.

By default, the system will install into the /usr/local hierarchy as per
the standard GNU coding rules.  This can be changed using the --prefix
option to configure.  To install the binaries type "make install".

Compiling Kaffe for Windows '95
===============================

The only 'working' port to Windows '95 uses Cygnus's GNU tools for Windows
(available from http://www.cygnus.com/ - don't ask me how to install them!)
To configure you would type the following:

        ./configure --prefix=c:/kaffe

This would configure Kaffe to install in c:/kaffe and build in the source
directories.

Compilation and installation is as per the UNIX system.

Running Kaffe
=============

Before running Kaffe it is necessary to configure the environment.
This requires the setting of CLASSPATH, KAFFEHOME and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
For the standard installation these would be defined as follows:

        CLASSPATH=.:/usr/local/share/kaffe/classes.zip
        KAFFEHOME=/usr/local/share/kaffe
        LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib

A file "ENVIRONMENT" is generated by the configure program which contains
a /bin/sh environment setup.  This may help you to figure out what to
set to what if you alter the standard installation point.

The source comes with a test program "HelloWorldApp" which can be found
in the test directory in the distribution.  After installation, run this
program from the test directory by typing the following:

        cd <java source directory>/test
        kaffe HelloWorldApp

This should load and execute the HelloWorld application.  If all is well
it will print "Hello World!".   As a further test you might like to try
compiling the HelloWorldApp source.  To do this type the following:

        javac HelloWorldApp.java

"javac" is a shell script which has been provided to invoke Kaffe on
the standard Java compiler.  If all is well, the application should compile
without incident.

The state of play
=================

Kaffe should run all Java code.  However there are still bugs and plenty
of untested native library functions.  Some functions which are not
currently implemented (most often because I don't understand exactly what
they are suppose to do) will simply abort if called.  If you can help
out on any of these then please do *BUT* remember, this is a clean-room
implementation (I have never seen any of Sun's Java source code) and
I cannot simply encorporate Javasoft's* code.

Kaffe and Sun's Java
====================

Kaffe is a clean-room implementation of a virtual machine which can run
Java bytecode.  It is capable of interpreting code generated by Sun's
software but has not been derived from any Sun code.  Currently this version
utilises Sun's freely available compiled class library but it is hoped
that this will be replaced with a freely available version in due time.
At the moment it is impossible to validate whether this software is
Java compatible(tm) (the test suites are not publically available) and
the terms under which this can be claimed are unknown.

Erm, that's it ....

Tim Wilkinson
<tim@kaffe.org>
----
* Java and Javasoft are registered trademark of Sun Microsystems, Inc.

--
rrwood@execulink.com           http://www.execulink.com/~rrwood