Subject: Re: netmask/broadcast questions
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/31/1997 13:10:25
Hi,

Here is how I remember it. In a network, you will have a block of IP
addresses. The most comon to use now is a class C which is 256 addresses.
The lowest number is the block is the "subnet" and the highest number
in the block is the "broadcast". So, actually, you get 254 usable IP
addresses in a class C block.

So, if you are using the following class C block:  192.168.1.0/24

The subnet is 192.168.1.0 and the broadcast is 192.168.1.255. The netmask
for a class C is always 255.255.255.0.  So the usable IP addresses start
at 192.168.1.1 and go to 192.168.1.254.

On my to do list over the next few days is to write up a "local networking
for newbies" how-to which explains this stuff and al;so covers the
different types of notation out there.

   Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
   Me & NetBSD: http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/