Subject: Re: Web Browsers and other growing pains(IIsi)
To: None <PORT-MAC68K@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Marc Coevoet <marc.coevoet@skynet.be>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/30/1997 22:29:55
Hello,

Today I read about emacs doing www/html docs.  I do not
know how far emacs goes (forms?, pictures?, video?), but
emacs can run on a dumb terminal and also as X version.
It compiles straight out of the tar.gz and installing
emacs .el scripts above the binaries probably always works...

Maybe a suggestion for the user survey:  could there be made a list
for every machine reflecting best kernel+netbsd-version?  I now
use jpw's #160, since #356 has problems with /proc(I still use v11
binaries, which worked with X on a IIx).  I see eg there are a lot
of problems with X versions.  I finally got X up on IIsi by copying some
Xmacbsd.date file to /usr/X11R6/bin/Xmacbsd.  I have a colour classic
I can only use serial-line-wise, and once borrowed a macIIx on which I
compiled various X stuff (ghostview, xli, xdvi, phoenix).  Still hope
the classic will do netbsd once too(I have fpu, 10MbRAM).

Anybody knows if there are (cheap) MC68882 adapter cards in EU? (for IIsi)
I thought I could swap the coprocessor from my colour classic to the
IIsi, but this one seems to need its hardware extensions in a nubus slot.
News about accelerator cards is also welcome, since a IIsi can combine
MC68882-adapter card and accelerator cards in one slot.
I requested the 3 biggest mac-malls in Belgium about this, but didn't
receive nothing yet.  I did find www.nexcomp.com in the US, with such
_old_ mac stuff (ram, video, accelerator cards...).

Marc