Subject: Re: Again unto the VirtualPC
To: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/30/1997 13:04:10
At 9:23 PM -0800 12/27/97, David A. Gatwood wrote:
>I've recently gotten VirtualPC (Win 95 version) and I'm interested in
>trying NetBSD-x86 on it.  Since I have no ethernet connection here at
>home, the fact that the PCI bridge stuff may not recognize it really
>doesn't matter much.

There were lots of postings by Greg.Earle@jpl.nasa.gov that you should be
able to find in the archives.  (That should be his work email address.  He
may not consider this discussion work-related.)

The bottom line as I recall was that it just about worked with FreeBSD.
You needed a bootstrap (? or kernel or something) patched to use/avoid
"mode 2" probes of the emulated PCI bus, and the emulated Ethernet card
didn't quite work, but might with the new 1.0.1 (?) version ov Virtula PC.

Let us know how it goes.

BTW I put your account back on macbsd-840av.jpl.nasa.gov.  Do you want
anything out of any system space on the old setup before I reparition it
out of existance?  I'm going to split the /mirror disk (sd3) so I have a
40MB partition for AFS.  Your home directory should be intact, but /users
is now a seperate disk (sd2).

My thanks to whoever fixed the swapper so you can just specify the swap
disk in the fstab!!!  I really like using old/small disks for swap space so
the seeks don't fight with other usage.  Now I don't need a custom kernel
just to specify that detail.